HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

WEAPONS CLASSIFICATIONS/BALANCING INITIATIVE (Project PARIS Phase 1)

Beta Project

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 draco7891

draco7891

El Tigre

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationCA, USA

Posted February 25 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostConquistador, on February 25 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

I do agree HEAT is now the area denial weapon of choice, but I'm confused as to why you're still not considering a nerf to its splash radius. Heat buildup is never a problem at higher levels of play, because heat management is one of the easiest skills to master in HAWKEN. Especially considering sometimes it's better to let yourself overheat as the restart time is so minute.

I believe I did say that SEINE would like limited testing of splash radius reduction to take place. Heat is never a problem, because high-level play revolves around the heat-free HEAT cannon. :P  Does anyone at high level use... the Vulcan_ Except maybe on a speciality Zerker build (where the damage ability makes the DPS absurd)_ Does anyone at high levels use an AR Zerker, or an AR Infil_ And exactly how many EOC Infils have you ever seen, excepting yours_ High-level Hawkins SS_

Everyone's toting a HEAT or a Flak (or Slug).

The lack of heat is what lets it be a continuous-fire weapon, not the splash. The HEAT now can just push both buttons and hit an area for extended periods of time. And best of all, since it's direct-aim, and the projectiles are faster and thus easier to predict (unlike the bouncing, 0.25 second contact fire of the RevGL nades), it's more likely to hit its mark. To bring the HEAT into the same line as the current RevGL, it would need at least 25% heat increase

I would live to see a mini-HEAT analog on scout ( and to a lesser extent, infiltrator) at any rate, especially one with a smaller splash radius.

Yea, sure, we'll call it... the RevHEAT. And it'll be a rapid-fire uncharged HEAT autocannon. So that high-level pilots won't be bothered with the need to hold their mousebuttons, they can just tape down M1+M2 and go to town.

A thousand :P 's at you, sir.

Draco

#42 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted February 25 2013 - 09:56 AM

When I mentioned a mini version of the HEAT, I was referring to something that did less damage and had less splash radius, not a mini flak analog that had a faster ROF. I'm referring to a distinction like the KE SABOT vs the SABOT RIFLE. Heaven forbid if they make an automatic mini heat with a high rate of fire, because that's not an acceptable solution.

Also I'm willing to accept ANY nerfs to HEAT cannon at this point, though I still think a greater emphasis on heat management due to heat generation increases would skirt around the main culprit of fast ROF plus large explosive radius. Perhaps all three need to be nerfed together.

Edited by Conquistador, February 25 2013 - 10:11 AM.

Posted Image

#43 draco7891

draco7891

El Tigre

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationCA, USA

Posted February 25 2013 - 10:04 AM

But that's exactly what the KE-Sabot is, though: a lower damage, same DPS, higher ROF version of the Sabot. The only other distinction is that the KE-Sabot is slightly more accurate out-of-scope than the standard Sabot.

You don't like my idea_ :(

*cries*

Draco

#44 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted February 25 2013 - 10:22 AM

View Postdraco7891, on February 25 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

But that's exactly what the KE-Sabot is, though: a lower damage, same DPS, higher ROF version of the Sabot. The only other distinction is that the KE-Sabot is slightly more accurate out-of-scope than the standard Sabot.

You don't like my idea_ :(

*cries*

Draco

All I'm saying is that we need a smaller HEAT cannon on a light mech. Smaller applies to something with significant drawbacks, including but not limited to heat generation. I keep saying a smaller explosive radius would be great, for reasons of balance where positioning on A classes is so much simpler than repositioning the C class grenadier or rocketeer. HEAT has always been balanced on a heavy mech context, after all. It's the peekaboo canned attributes of the smaller mechs that really bring the HEAT to bear.

My suggestions would be to combine a reduction in explosive radius with an increase to heat generation. Reduction in explosive radius would make it much less forgiving and reward accuracy while mitigating corner splash around cover. Heat generation increase may help reduce the effective rate of fire pilots are willing to push on their mech while giving them the option to fire as fast as possible in desperate situations.

They're solutions that address different problems, and aren't mutually exclusive. I say chain the two together for maximum effect.

Edited by Conquistador, February 25 2013 - 10:26 AM.

Posted Image

#45 Puredeath

Puredeath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Stuck-up barbies

Posted February 26 2013 - 03:40 PM

What if... Instead of nerfing.... We buffed everything else...
*Gasp*
Ohh wait that what happened to runescape. (Doesn't seem to work well)
Disregard the suggestion of Buffing everything, well if health isn't buffed then it will make it more intresting. Hopefuly this could keep lighter mechs with a lesser health pool moving around and eventually better. (make a mistake your out slightly quicker)

Bring on in the hate! Rember it's a nerf :D

This could be a good theory, making inexperienced players learn quicker by simply killing them quicker when they mess up.
Self Built PC | AMD Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.40 GHz | Nivida Geforce GTX 660 | 8GB DDR2 | 1T SATA w/ RAID 1

The Iron Titans

#46 Lorenzitto

Lorenzitto

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted February 27 2013 - 06:52 AM

Nerf or buff, is gonna be a big BLUFF!

#47 Lorenzitto

Lorenzitto

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted March 01 2013 - 02:00 PM

So, I hope to have some serious rebalancing of ALL weapons in few months,
doesn't even matter if all game system will miss the "rock-paper-scissors" effects on gunplay...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Project

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users